As a recent guest on The Dr. John Duffy Podcast, I answered questions for his audience of young adults about how to navigate the early part of their careers. They asked questions
like: How do you know if you have an abusive boss? How do you ask for a raise? And how do you know if you’re moving on from a job that isn’t right for you vs. just “quitting?” Dr. Duffy’s team named the episode: “The Workplace Advice You’re Not Getting,” and from the show, here are 5 pieces of career advice for young adults (and all humans!) who want to navigate their careers authentically and mindfully:
1. Only take career advice from people who you admire how they’ve navigated their careers.
2. Work that is your natural genius is not hard to you, it’s fun and easy.
3. Dealing with difficult people will be part of your career and can help you grow into a better person.
4. Money is only one part of the equation to measure your success.
5. Following your true desires around work is essential to your your physical and emotional health.
Appearing on Dr. Duffy’s show was important to me because I believe many teens and young adults are getting out-of-date and frankly BAD advice from many adults. As someone who works with adults in their 30s, 40S and 50s about their biggest career regrets and ways they got off course, it is my intention to help this next generation stay on course around their genius from the very beginning.
Want to learn more? Listen to the full episode, answering the questions mentioned above and more HERE. (8/24 episode). And check out more awesomeness with Dr. Duffy by subscribing to his podcast.
About Dr. John Duffy:
Dr. Duffy is a clinical psychologist, best-selling author, certified life coach, parenting and relationship expert, and husband and father. He has been working with individuals, couples, teens, and families for nearly twenty years. Along with his clinical work, Dr. Duffy is the author of the number-one best-selling book The Available Parent, as well as a frequent parenting and relationship expert on the Steve Harvey Show.